Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Keep it Legal

    Anyone who plays online poker has probably received emails in regards to legislation passing through the House of Representatives banning (or at least making it increasingly difficult to play) online gambling (this includes poker).  What's funny is that the bill (which you can read by clicking here) makes exceptions for online horse betting as well as state lotteries.

    Really, the only purpose for the creation of this bill has to do with money.  Unfortunately, they went about it all wrong.  Certain politicians want to get rid of online gambling because banks, credit companies, and the federal government do not make any money off of it.  For example, say Joe Schmoe has a gambling problem.  He transfers his maximum credit limit to an offshore account to play on an online casino.  He eventually loses the money he transfered, but cannot payback the huge sum he just dropped.  Mr. Schmoe files for bankruptcy.  How will his credit card company get their money back?  It all transferred offshore to some island the US can't touch.  Bummer, huh?

    I don't mean to go on a huge rant, but things just need to be said.  You know, I really hate it when idiotic bills are passed that ruins the quality of life for anyone with more than two brain cells.  It's just like the scenario where little Timmy gets hurt on his bike, so his uptight mother has to bitch about things (even possibly doing some favors for some lawmaker, if you know what I mean) until she gets her way and some moronic law that is completely unnecessary gets passed.  This is all because of a lack of responsibility and self-reliance tied together along with a full load of insecurity in parenting.  Poor Timmy.  Here have a twinkie.  Now she is wondering why her kid has ADD, diabetes, and is morbidly obese.  No, it couldn't be her shitty parenting!  *Gasp* such language!  I guess I should go on time-out.  Anyway, you get my drift on how this retarded bill has already gone through the House of Representatives and has now just been put on the Senate's calendar. 

    Now if lawmakers thought a little bit outside the box, they would come to the conclusion that it would be better for everyone if online gaming was legalized and regulated rather than banned.  Instead of a loss of revenue (by not only banning it, but also enforcing the ban) there would be a dramatic increase in revenue to the tune of $3.3 billion annually (by Howard Lederer's estimates).  If anyone is interested, you can learn more about voicing the facts to politicians who don't know any better by visiting www.pokerplayersalliance.org

    I know, it's amazing.  I'm actually strongly voicing my opinion on something.  Very rare moment for me.  Also, I believe this is my very first big rant on my entire blog.  Maybe I've had a couple others, I'm not sure.  Anyway, go out and edu-ma-cate those politicians!

No comments: